Young Communist League comrade Mary Brooks makes a protest against fascist repression on the noon-time streets of downtown Philadelphia in October, 1933.
‘Demonstrators at Anti-Nazi Meet in Philadelphia Battle Cops.’ From The Daily Worker. Vol. 10 No. 236. October 2, 1933.
PHILADELPHIA. Pa., Oct. 1. The Communist Party called a demonstration for the release of Dimitroff, Torgler, Taneff, and Popoff for Friday at 12 o’clock in front of the German Consulate. About 1000 workers gathered at 12:15 when from the window of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, across the street from the German Consulate, Comrade Norris Woods showered down about 3000 leaflets, demanding the release of our comrades in Germany and protesting against bloody Fascism. At 12:16 he put out a 25-foot red flag with the hammer and sickle on it, with the demands on the flag which included: Down with bloody Fascism: demand the release of Torgler, Dimitroff, Taneff and others; against the intervention in Cuba and for support of the Anti-War Congress. He started to speak at 12:17 p.m. and continued for 20 minutes, until the police broke into the room, which was barricaded from the inside, and was arrested. The crowd militantly answered his questions and expressed a readiness in the struggle against Fascism.
The police immediately interfered and started to club the workers. As soon as this phase of the demonstration was over, Comrade Mary Brooks, a member of the Y.C.L. was chained down to the pole in front of the Bellvue Stratford Hotel, a few houses away from the scene of the first demonstration. She spoke there for 20 minutes until the police succeeded In breaking the chains and arrested her. Thousands or workers gathered around and blocked traffic for an hour. The police were helpless. These two comrades were arrested. Mary Brooks got five days and Norris Woods is held in $500 bail on a charge of inciting to riot.The demonstration made a tremendous impression on the workers of Philadelphia. It Was one of the most splendid demonstrations ever held.
The Daily Worker began in 1924 and was published in New York City by the Communist Party US and its predecessor organizations. Among the most long-lasting and important left publications in US history, it had a circulation of 35,000 at its peak. The Daily Worker came from The Ohio Socialist, published by the Left Wing-dominated Socialist Party of Ohio in Cleveland from 1917 to November 1919, when it became became The Toiler, paper of the Communist Labor Party. In December 1921 the above-ground Workers Party of America merged the Toiler with the paper Workers Council to found The Worker, which became The Daily Worker beginning January 13, 1924.
PDF of full issue: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84020097/1933-10-02/ed-1/seq-1/